After being sick half the week we finally made it out. We walked around a pond near our house. Total distance: about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. Total time: about 90 minutes. But we had fun. We saw the following:
- A robin.
- Several schools of bullfish – under 1″ long
- One adult bullfish, apparently protecting the school (that’s what I’ve been told)
- Other schools of minnows – trout or sunfish.
- Sunfish of various sizes – one to four or five inches. A good example of the big fish [trying to] eat the smaller fish.
- Cat tale reeds. Clovers.
- Places where others had littered (we will bring a bag next time).
- A small turtle (Mom)
- Driftwood (David liked this)
- Andrew says he saw an alligator, which was probably driftwood. There was actually an escaped pet alligator found in the pond several years ago, so its not impossible. He was warning David that the alligator would bite him.
- Butterflies: black and yellow.
- Thistles (most of the taller ones had been sprayed)
- Grasshopper (Jonathan and David)
To do next time:
- Bring a bag for trash.
- Bring a small pack with a bird book and maybe a magnifying glass or binoculars.
- Bring the camera.
- Try bringing a sketchbook and some pencils or watercolors.